Monday, November 22, 2004

talk with RFA

Interview with Min Ko Naing
Broadcast by Radio Free Asia (RFA), Burmese Service,
Nov 22, 2004

Remark: The words in the (brackets) are by
translators.


Part one:

Burmese junta freed prominent student leader Min Ko Naing from the Sittwe prison, on the morning of 19 November. Min Zin of RFA interviewed him. (RFA is) going to air the interview in two parts. Here is part one which includes Min Ko Naing’s experience in prison, how he survived the difficulties of prison and (his current) health condition.

RFA: You stayed in solitary confinement for almost 16
years. When you were released yesterday, how did the
prison authorities inform you of your release? Were
you expecting your release? Or, it was unexpected?

MKN: I didn’t know exactly. However, I felt a bit that
my condition would be slightly extraordinary very
soon. (The prison authorities) asked me my ID number
in the morning (the day I was released). When I asked
what it was for, they replied that it was to buy an
air ticket for my return home. It was then, that I
knew (that I was going to be free). I was not
surprised or shocked about my release.

RFA: What is the condition of your health after your
release?

MKN: I can’t say that my health is totally good.
According to the World Health Organization, a person
is in good health if he or she is mentally and
physically healthy. As I stayed alone for almost 16
years, my mental health condition was affected a
little bit. However, I tried my best to keep myself in
good physical health. Even if now I am not one
hundred percent healthy, I am still able to do almost
anything like a normal healthy person.

RFA: You have experienced harsh mental and physical
torture. Please tell us a bit about how you passed the
difficult time in prison.

MKN: You will know a religious saying; it is “I am not
alone. I am with God.” It gave me confidence in prison
to know that although my journey is rough and dark, I
am not alone and I am with my comrades. As a result, I
have finished the long journey (in almost perfect
health).


RFA: I heard that while you were in prison (the
authorities) said that they would free you if you
either agreed not to participate in politics or if you
agreed to go abroad. Did you have to sign anything to
say that you would not participate in politics again
in the future?

MKN: I would like your careful attention to my answer.
I never gave my signature when I left my cell for the
prison gate and I reached home without giving my
signature.

RFA: In prison, what’s your worst experience? Can you
give me one example, how did you overcome it?

MKN: In this case, I want to speak generally: there
are some experiences that need to be forgotten,
although we have some feeling on them. Everybody has
their own personal experiences and suffering.
However, (sometimes) we have to forget it. All of us
have our own personal issues and sacrifices. Several
political prisoners have suffered a lot although their
prison periods are no longer than my prison period.
(In order to survive in prison), I had to satisfy
myself by thinking; “Oh, we sacrificed only some parts
of our lives, many comrades sacrificed their lives.”
So, I am not able to give any examples. Each political
prisoner makes different sacrifices in prison.
Mothers, lovers and concern persons know this.

RFA: How did you feel about your reunion with your
beloved mother, father and family?

MKN: I had already prepared for the worst.
According to Article 10 A of the State Protection Law,
upon completion of my sentence (the authorities) were
able to extend my imprisonment many times for up to
five years. In the past, this is what (the
authorities) did. Therefore, I had prepared for the
worst. Now, my release was a gain for me, let’s say.
Now, I am reunited with my father, mother and family
members. My father is getting old. However, I have to
be satisfied that he is still alive. Now, I don’t want
to talk about my personal feelings - I request you to
understand this.
After 16 years, I now have the chance to talk. I want
to say Mingalarbar (a word of kind-hearted greeting).
However, I am met with the tears of mothers whose sons
have disappeared. The gentlemen are also sad and cry
deeply. I want them to withdraw their tears. When they
can do it, it is meaningful to say Mingalarbar. The
person who knocks on the front door of a mother’s
house at night should only be the son who has stayed
out late. It shouldn’t be the person who comes to take
the son away from his mother. I don’t want it to
happen anymore. That’s it.




Broadcast by Radio Free Asia (RFA), Burmese Service,
Nov 23, 2004
Part two:

RFA: Human rights organizations, governments and
activists pressured and asked (the junta) for your
release and freedom; they also gave you honorable
awards. How did the international pressure and
assistance affect you and the other political
prisoners?

MKN: While we were in prison, they gave their support
and encouragement to us; they did their best for us.
We felt like a person in a winter river that catches
sight of a small light far away. We did not feel it
directly; we partially felt it. However, it’s enough
for us. We will never forget their support. Please,
give our thanks to all those who worked for us.

RFA: When do you think your fellow political
prisoners, including Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, will be
freed?

MKN: Since the beginning (of the democracy movement),
the students haven’t placed particular emphasis on any
one politician.
We haven’t worked for anyone special. This long period
of democratic movement has tested our abilities.
However, I believe that we should mention their names
now. So, when all the leaders including Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi, U Tin Oo and other comrades are released, we
can place more emphasize on something that we all hope
for. You can probably guess what that something is.

RFA: As you have suffered a difficult life for many
years, do you feel at all bitter? Will you be able to
forgive (the perpetrators)?
How do you see the country’s reconciliation in the
future? Please, tell us your thoughts.

MKN: Sometimes, we have to repair the rough road.
When we walk on the road full of dents and holes, we
need to rebuild the road. We need proper gratitude to
build the road.
Sometimes, it’s rather appropriate to assume that you
must make sacrifices for the road building. Currently,
we all want national reconciliation. This will have
been achieved when the comrades and leaders, including
the persons I just mentioned, come together. Actually,
national reconciliation for the world and for the
people of Burma can be made and created. I believe
that we just need maturity and foresight. We don’t
have to highlight our own personal feelings.

RFA: You were only 26 when you were arrested. Now, you
are 42. How did the 16 year prison experience affect
the development of 26 year old Min Ko Naing to 42 year
old Min Ko Naing?

MKN: A prisoner and a person outside of prison are
very different. Outsiders easily finish a certain
period of their life while prisoners slowly and
bitterly finish it. We are experiencing the rough
pathway and therefore there is more chance that we
become mentally and physically old. We don’t assume
that we are mentally old but we do become more
mentally mature.
In order to encourage ourselves, we have to become
more mentally mature.

RFA: Do you have something to say to the people of
Burma and the international community?

MKN: During this long journey to democracy, we have
nightmares. Sometimes the dawn seems to be coming
closer. Then, it is dark and we get some sleep.
Again, we have nightmares. Then, the dawn seems to be
closer still.
It’s a waste of time and a long journey. After I was
released from prison, I read the faces of the people.
These faces think that the dawn is getting nearer.
So, I am hoping that we will be able to achieve the
expectations of the people.

Translated by Zarny
Edited by Aung Kyaw and a volunteer from AAPP office.


No comments: